Physician Assistant, Clinical Instructor of Neurosurgery
Stony Brook Children- Department of Neurological Surgery
Long Island’s premier academic medical center, Stony Brook Medicine represents Stony Brook University’s entire medical enterprise and integrates all of Stony Brook’s health-related initiatives: education, research and patient care. It encompasses Stony Brook University Hospital, Stony Brook Children’s Hospital, the five Health Sciences schools — Dental Medicine, Health Technology and Management, Medicine, Nursing and Social Welfare — as well as the major centers and institutes, programs and more than 50 community-based healthcare settings throughout Suffolk County. With 603 beds, Stony Brook University Hospital serves as Suffolk County’s only tertiary care center and Regional Trauma Center. Stony Brook Children’s, with more than 160 pediatric specialists, offers the most advanced pediatric specialty care in the region.
- Bachelor's degree from AMA-approved Physician Assistant program.
- NYS Physician Assistant license.
- NCCPA certified or must have in possession by start date.
- One year of post graduate experience in ER, operating room or other appropriate inpatient setting.
- Master's degree from AMA-approved Physician Assistant program.
- Experience with neurosurgery or neurology patients.
Responsibilities & Requirements:
- Under the direction of the Head Physician Assistant and attendings, the PAs will join a team of Physician Extenders to cover the neurosurgery service 24/7.
- They will perform duties in the operating room as a first assist, as well as caring for patients on the inpatient service.
- New hires will receive some training on nights and will be expected to share night and weekend call with the other Physician Extenders.
- Physician Assistants are expected to cover the ER and inpatient units; coordinate pre-hospital evaluation for admission; obtain surgical or pre-surgical consents; provide post-op care; serve as first assist in operating room; secure transfer of critically ill patients; and assist or perform bedside procedures such as lumbar punctures, ventroiculostomies, shunt taps, etc.
Special Notes: This is a non-tenure track position. FLSA Exempt position, not eligible for the overtime provisions of the FLSA. Internal and external search to occur simultaneously.
Pursuant to Executive Order 161, no State entity, as defined by the Executive Order, is permitted to ask, or mandate, in any form, that an applicant for employment provide his or her current compensation, or any prior compensation history, until such time as the applicant is extended a conditional offer of employment with compensation. If such information has been requested from you before such time, please contact the Governor’s Office of Employee Relations at (518) 474-6988 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Stony Brook University is 100% tobacco-free as of January 1, 2016. See our policy and learn more at stonybrook.edu/tobaccofree.
The selected candidate must successfully clear a background investigation.
Application Procedure: Those interested in this position should submit a State Employment Application, cover letter and resume to:
c/o Elizabeth Bosler
Department of Neurological Surgery
HSC T12, Room 080
Stony Brook Medicine
Stony Brook, NY 11794-8122
Applications for this position must be received, as specified in the Application Procedure Section, no later than 5:00 PM Eastern Time on 09/23/2017, unless specifically noted otherwise in the Special Notes Section.
STONY BROOK UNIVERSITY IS AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER. WE ENCOURAGE PROTECTED VETERANS, INDIVIDUALS WITH DISABILITIES, WOMEN AND MINORITIES TO APPLY. IF YOU NEED A DISABILITY-RELATED ACCOMMODATION, PLEASE CALL THE UNIVERSITY HUMAN RESOURCE SERVICES DEPARTMENT AT (631) 632-6161 OR THE UNIVERSITY HOSPITAL HUMAN RESOURCES DEPARTMENT AT (631) 444-4700.
Be the first to see new jobs near Stony Brook, NY!
Enter your email address below to receive new jobs when they are posted.No thanks